Sport-Olympic.com

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

1908  London Summer Olympics

1908 Summer Olympics - Olympic Venues

Venues of the 1908 Summer Olympics

 

Twelve sports venues were used for the 1908 Summer Olympics. The first winter sports took place at Prince's Skating Club. White City Stadium served as a precursor to modern stadiums. The figure skating events did not take place at the next Olympics in Stockholm, but returned for the 1920 Games in Antwerp. They served as the precursor for the first Winter Olympics that took place in Chamonix sixteen years later. White City served as the main venue for the 1934 British Empire Games (Commonwealth Games since 1978) and a venue for the 1966 FIFA World Cup before its demolition in 1985. The All England Tennis and Lawn Club continues to serve as host for Wimbledon's tennis events and is the only venue of the 1908 Games to serve as one for the 2012 Summer Olympics.

Bisley and Henley served as venues in the 1948 Games when the Olympics returned to London forty years later.

VenueSportsCapacity
All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club Tennis Not listed
Bisley Ranges Shooting (pistol/rifle) Not listed
Franco-British Exhibition Fencing Grounds Fencing Not listed
Henley Royal Regatta Rowing Not listed
Hunters Quay, River Clyde Sailing Not listed
Hurlingham Club Polo Not listed
Northampton Institute Boxing Not listed
Prince's Skating Club Figure skating Not listed
Queen's Club Jeu de paume, Rackets Not listed
Solent Sailing Not listed
Southampton Water Water motorsports Not listed
Uxendon Shooting School Club Shooting (shotgun) Not listed
White City Stadium Archery, Athletics, Cycling (track), Diving, Field hockey, Football, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Rugby union, Swimming, Tug of war, Water polo (final), Wrestling 68,000
 

All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club

 
  
Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club 1908
 

The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club,[1] also known as the All England Club, based at Church Road, Wimbledon, London, England, is a private members' club. It is best known as the venue for the Wimbledon Championships, the only Grand Slam tennis event still held on grass. Initially an amateur event that occupied club members and their friends for a few days each summer, the championships have become far more prominent than the club itself. However, it still operates as a members' tennis club.

The club has 375 full members, about 100 temporary playing members, and a number of honorary members, including past Wimbledon singles champions and people who have rendered distinguished service to the game. To become a full or temporary member, an applicant must obtain letters of support from four existing full members, two of whom must have known the applicant for at least three years. The name is then added to the Candidates' List. Honorary Members are elected from time to time by the club's Committee. Membership carries with it the right to purchase two tickets for each day of the Wimbledon Championships. In addition to this all champions are invited to become members.

The patron of the club is Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, and the President is The Duke of Kent.

 
  

History


The Club was founded by six gentlemen at the offices of The Field on 23 July 1868 at the height of a croquet craze as the All England Croquet Club, and held its first croquet competition in 1870. Its original ground was situated off Worple Road, Wimbledon. Croquet was very popular there until the then-infant sport of lawn tennis (a game introduced by Major Walter Clopton Wingfield a year or so prior, and originally called Sphairistikè) was introduced in 1875, when one lawn was set aside for this purpose.The first tennis Gentlemen's Championship in Singles was held in July 1877, when the Club changed its name to The All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club. That year at Wimbledon service was underarm. The champion, Spencer Gore, opined that "Lawn tennis will never rank among our great games." In 1878 the height of the net was altered to 4 feet 9 inches (1.45 m) at the posts and 3 feet (0.91 m) at the centre. In 1882, croquet was dropped from the name, as tennis had become the main activity of the Club. But in 1899 it was restored to the Club's name for sentimental reasons, and the Club's name became The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.

In 1884, the Club added Ladies' Singles and Gentlemen's Doubles, and then in 1913 Ladies' Doubles and Mixed Doubles.For the 1908 Summer Olympics, the venue hosted the Grass Courts tennis events. The early Club colours were found to be almost identical to those of the Royal Marines, so they were changed in 1909 to the present Club colours of dark green and purple. The popularity of Frenchwoman Suzanne Lenglen was largely responsible for forcing the Club to move to larger grounds at its present site in Church Road, Wimbledon, in 1922, where its first Championship was "plagued by rain each day".

 

Bisley, Surrey

 
Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για Bisley, Surrey 1908

Bisley /ˈbɪzl/ is a village and civil parish in the borough of Surrey Heath in Surrey, England. It is centred 3.4 miles (5.5 km) west of Woking. It was a medieval creation. Neighbouring Bisley is the 19th-century West End, centred 900 metres north, across the Windle Brook. According to the 2011 Census, the population of Bisley was 3,965, which is largely within a focal area – the surrounding green and heather-and-gorse heath buffer land running into other parishes is lightly populated – in contrast to Knaphill which is contiguous to Woking, 1 mile (1.6 km) east.

This village is famous for the National Rifle Association championships which moved here in 1890. The competition is hosted by the NRA on the Bisley Ranges which is Ministry of Defence land and is also the base of the Royal Logistics Corps. Bisley has hosted shooting events for the 1908 Olympic Games and the 2002 Commonwealth Games. Bisley is a village about 4 miles north-west of Woking.

Franco-British Exhibition (1908)

 

The Franco-British Exhibition was a large public fair held in London between 14 May and 31 October 1908. The exhibition attracted 8 million visitors and celebrated the Entente Cordiale signed in 1904 by the United Kingdom and France. The chief architect of the buildings was John Belcher.

The Exhibition was held in an area of west London near Shepherd's Bush which is now called White City: the area acquired its name from the exhibition buildings which were all painted white. The 1908 Summer Olympics fencing events were held in the district alongside the festivities.

Henley Royal Regatta

 

Olympic Finish, Henley, 1908

Henley Royal Regatta (or Henley Regatta, its original name pre-dating Royal patronage) is a rowing event held annually on the River Thames by the town of Henley-on-Thames, England. It was established on 26 March 1839. It differs from the three other regattas rowed over approximately the same course, Henley Women's Regatta, Henley Masters Regatta and Henley Town and Visitors' Regatta, each of which is an entirely separate event.

The regatta lasts for five days (Wednesday to Sunday) ending on the first weekend in July. Races are head-to-head knock out competitions, raced over a course of 1 mile, 550 yards (2,112 m). The regatta regularly attracts international crews to race. The most prestigious event at the regatta is the Grand Challenge Cup for Men's Eights, which has been awarded since the regatta was first staged.

Hunters Quay

 

Hunters Quay; (Scottish Gaelic: Camas Rainich) is a village, on the Cowal peninsula in Argyll and Bute, Scottish Highlands. Situated between Kirn to the south and Ardnadam to the north, Hunters Quay is the main base of Western Ferries (Clyde) LTD, operating between Hunters Quay and McInroy's Point.

The 12-metre class yacht race in the 1908 London Olympic Games took place at Hunters Quay. Most of the sailing took place on the Solent, but only two boats entered the 12-metre class: Mouchette from the Royal Liverpool Yacht Club and Hera from the Royal Clyde Yacht Club. They were allowed to race on the Clyde for convenience. The course was twice round a 13-mile lap of the Clyde, starting and finishing at Hunters Quay. Thomas C. Glen-Coats' Hera won.

The Hurlingham Club

Σχετική εικόνα
The Hurlingham Club is an exclusive sports and social club located in Fulham, London, England. It has a Georgian clubhouse set in 42 acres (17 ha) of grounds. It is a member of The Association of London Clubs.
In 1873, the club published the rules of polo, which are still followed by most of the world to this day.Polo was first played at the club on 6 June 1874. On 18 July 1878, the club along with Ranelagh became the first to play a sports match under floodlights. In 1886, the club hosted the first international polo match between England and the United States. The polo matches for the 1908 Summer Olympics were played at Hurlingham. Three teams entered: Hurlingham, Roehampton Club, and a combined British and Irish team. Roehampton won. The Westchester Cup was played at the club in 1900, 1902, 1909, 1921 and 1936. Before the Second World War, Hurlingham was the headquarters of British polo. The governing body of British polo is called the Hurlingham Polo Association. However polo is no longer staged at Hurlingham after the size of the club was significantly reduced after the war when the polo fields were compulsorily purchased to build council housing (the Sullivan Estate). The Guards Polo Club in Windsor Great Park has succeeded to the status of the leading British polo club.

Northampton Institute

Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για Northampton Institute 1908

City, University of London is a public research university in London, United Kingdom and has been a constituent college of University of London, since 2016.

It was founded in 1894 as the Northampton Institute and became a university in 1966 when The City University was created by royal charter.[3] The Inns of Court School of Law, which merged with City in 2001, was established in 1852, making it the former City University's oldest constituent part. On 1 September 2016, City joined the federal University of London, becoming part of the 18 Colleges and ten research institutes that make up the University. The university has strong links with the City of London, and the Lord Mayor of London serves as the University's Rector

Prince's Skating Club

Prince's Skating Club was an ice rink in the Knightsbridge area of London, England. It saw a number of firsts for ice hockey in Britain and Europe.

The rink was opened on Montpelier Square on 7 November 1896 by the Prince's Sporting Club. It operated on a membership-only basis and was aimed at the elite of British figure skaters who wished to practise on uncrowded ice.[1]

Prince's was the second large rectangular rink in Britain after Stockport, its ice measuring 210 by 52 feet (64 by 16 metres). This made it an ideal venue for the developing sport of ice hockey.

In October 1908, the figure skating events of the Olympics were held at the rink – the first ice sport ever included in the Olympics and the only occasion Olympic ice events have been held in Britain.

Σχετική εικόνα

Queen's Club

Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για Queen's Club 1908

Founded as The Queen's Club Limited on 19 August 1886 by Evan Charteris, George Francis and Algernon Grosvener, the Queen's Club was the world's second multipurpose sports complex, after the Prince's Club, and became the only one after the Prince's Club relocated to Knightsbridge and lost its outdoor sports facilities. The club is named after Queen Victoria, its first patron. On 19 May 1887 the first lawn tennis courts were opened and on 1–2 July 1887 the first sporting event was held when Oxford played Cambridge. The construction of the club buildings took about eighteen months and they were opened in January 1888. William Marshall, finalist of the inaugural 1877 Wimbledon Championships was the architect. Among the initial sports offered at the club were real tennis, Eton Fives, rackets, lawn tennis (grass courts and covered courts), football, rugby and athletics. Cricket was also played but not as an organized sport. The University Sports meeting between Cambridge and Oxford was held at the Queen's Club from 1888 to 1928.

Queens Club was the venue of the covered courts (indoor) tennis, jeu de paume (real tennis) and rackets events of the 1908 Summer Olympics.

Solent

The Solent (/ˈslənt/ SOH-lənt) is the strait that separates the Isle of Wight from the mainland of England. It is about 20 miles (32 kilometres) long and varies in width between 212 and 5 mi (4 and 8 km), although the Hurst Spit which projects 112 mi (2.4 km) into the Solent narrows the sea crossing between Hurst Castle and Colwell Bay to just over 1 mi (1.6 km).

Southampton Water

Southampton Water is a tidal estuary north of the Solent and the Isle of Wight in England. The city of Southampton lies at its most northerly point. Along its salt marsh-fringed western shores lie the New Forest villages of Hythe and "the waterside", Dibden Bay, and the Esso oil refinery at Fawley. On the slightly steeper eastern shore are the Southampton suburb of Weston, the villages of Netley and Hamble-le-Rice, and the Royal Victoria Country Park.

Together with the Solent, Southampton Water is world-renowned for yachting. It served as one of the sailing and motorboating venues for the 1908 Summer Olympics.

Uxendon Shooting School Club

Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για Uxendon Shooting School Club
The Uxendon Shooting School Club was a club devoted to shooting sports located in Preston, in what is now the borough of Brent in London, England. It was between the Wealdstone Brook and Barn Hill, roughly where Alverstone Road is now. It hosted the trap shooting events for the 1908 Summer Olympics.

White City Stadium

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Le_White_City_Stadium_de_Londres%2C_pour_les_JO_de_1908.jpg
White City Stadium in White City, London, England, was built for the 1908 Summer Olympics, and hosted the finish of the first modern marathon. It also hosted swimming, speedway, boxing, show jumping, athletics, stock car racing, concerts and a match at the 1966 World Cup. From 1927 to 1984, it was a venue for greyhound racing, hosting the English Greyhound Derby.

Designed by the engineer J. J. Webster and completed in 10 months by George Wimpey, on part of the site of the Franco-British Exhibition, this stadium with a seating capacity of 68,000 was opened by King Edward VII on 27 April 1908 after the first stanchion had been placed in position by Lady Desborough on 2 August 1907. The cost of construction was £60,000. Upon completion, the stadium had a running track 24 ft wide (7.3 m) and three laps to the mile (536 m); outside there was a 35-foot-wide (11 m), 660-yard (600 m) cycle track. The infield included a swimming and diving pool.


Many events of the 1908 Olympics were at the stadium itself whereas nowadays there are many arenas. The Olympic rugby union final between Australia and Great Britain was held in the stadium on 26 October 1908 and events such as archery and gymnastics took place at White City, while some others took place at Queens Club. Swimming was held at White City, in a 100-yard pool dug in the infield. The position of the finish line for the marathon in the 1908 Summer Olympics is commemorated by a marker in the plaza that now stands there. The distance of the modern marathon was fixed at these Games and calculated from the start of the race at Windsor Castle to a point in front of the royal box. The medal table for the 1908 Summer Olympics is also listed on a nearby wall
 
 

 

Real time web analytics, Heat map tracking

Olympic Games

Full

Results

All Events