Sport-Olympic.com

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

1920  Antwerp Summer Olympics

1920 Summer Olympics - Olympic Venues

Venues of the 1920 Summer Olympics

 

 

Seventeen sports venues were used in the 1920 Summer Olympics. This marked the first time that the football tournament was spread throughout the country, which has mostly been the case since.

VenueSportsCapacity
Antwerp Cycling (road) Not listed.
Antwerp Zoo Boxing, Wrestling Not listed.
Beerschot Tennis Club Tennis Not listed.
Beverloo Camp Shooting (pistol/rifle) Not listed.
Brussels–Scheldt Maritime Canal Rowing Not listed.
Buiten Y (Amsterdam) Sailing (12 foot dinghy) Not listed.
Gardens of the Egmont Palace (Brussels) Fencing Not listed.
Hoogboom Military Camp Shooting (trap shooting, running target) Not listed.
Jules Ottenstadion (Ghent) Football (Italy-Egypt match). Not listed.
Nachtegalen Park Archery Not listed.
Olympisch Stadion Athletics, Equestrian, Field hockey, Football (final), Gymnastics, Modern pentathlon, Rugby union, Tug of war, Weightlifting 30,000
Ostend Polo, Sailing Not listed.
Palais de Glace d'Anvers Figure skating, Ice hockey Not listed.
Stade Joseph Marien (Brussels) Football Not listed.
Stade Nautique d'Antwerp Diving, Swimming, Water polo Not listed.
Stadion Broodstraat Football Not listed.
Vélodrome d'Anvers Zuremborg Cycling (track) Not listed.
 
 

Antwerp Zoo

 
 Antwerp Zoo (Dutch: ZOO Antwerpen) is a zoo in the centre of Antwerp, Belgium, located next to the Antwerpen-Centraal railway station. It is the oldest animal park in the country, and one of the oldest in the world, established on 21 July 1843.

Since its foundation, the park has been controlled by De Koninklijke Maatschappij voor Dierkunde van Antwerpen, a society originally called Société Royale de Zoologie d'Anvers (The Antwerp Royal Society for Zoology). This also became the popular nickname for the zoo, "De Zoologie". The initial objective was to encourage zoological and botanical sciences. Its first director was renowned zoologist and botanist Jacques Kets (10 November 1785 – 1 February 1865). He accepted this position on one condition: a museum had to be built to house his nature-historical collections. This building was inaugurated in 1844 by H.M. King Léopold I. The predicate Royal was added to the name of the society on that occasion.

Throughout the years, it has encouraged wildlife preservation through activities and exhibits on a recreational, educational, scientific, and cultural level.[citation needed]

 Belgium, Antwerp Zoo, Entrance Gate.JPG
Entrance gate of the Antwerp Zoo
 

In its early years, the size of the park grew from less than 1.59 hectares (3.9 acres) to more than 10.5 hectares (26 acres). Notable buildings from that period are the Egyptian temple (1856) and the antelope building (1861) in Oriental style, which now houses the okapis.

The zoo has also a cultural function. Originally, concerts were held in the garden of the zoo. The museum building was demolished to build a concert hall. The hall then became the residence of the Antwerp Symphony Orchestra, the symphonic orchestra of Flanders. The museum collections were moved to the second floor.

For the 1920 Summer Olympics, the venue hosted the boxing and wrestling events. 

 

 

Royal Beerschot THC

 
The Beerschot Tennis Club, now known as the Royal Beerschot Tennis and Hockey Club is a field hockey and tennis club founded in 1899 in Kontich, Belgium, located in neighboring Antwerp. It hosted the tennis events for the 1920 Summer Olympics.
Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για Beerschot Tennis Club 1920

Beverloo Camp

 

Beverloo Camp (French: Camp de Beverloo, Dutch: Kamp Beverloo) was a military installation at Leopoldsburg (Bourg-Léopold in French), Belgium; 75 km northeast of Antwerp.

The camp was created in 1835, shortly after the independence of Belgium from the Netherlands. It acquired a permanent character in 1850.
During World War I and World War II it was occupied by German troops. In May 1944 the camp was bombed by the Allied forces, damaging some blocks. A part of the Camp was also used as a POW-camp by the Germans.

In 1920 the facilities hosted the pistol and rifle shooting events for the 1920 Summer Olympics. While those events took place, combat engineers detonated grenades four kilometres from the shooting stands.

 

Postcard depicting Beverloo Camp in the early 20th century

Brussels–Scheldt Maritime Canal

 

The Brussels–Scheldt Maritime Canal (commonly named in various ways including Willebroek Canal and Brussels-Willebroek canal), is a canal in Belgium linking Brussels with the Scheldt river and ultimately the sea. The 28 km long canal has a width of 30 m. and a draught of 2 m., and connects the cities of Brussels and Willebroek, where it joins the Rupel river in the hamlet of Klein-Willebroek. Hence previously the canal was officially known as the Brussels-Rupel Maritime Canal prior to the establishment of a direct link with the Scheldt in 1997.

The canal is one of the oldest navigable canals in Belgium and indeed in Europe.

During the 1920 Summer Olympics, the canal hosted the rowing events.

Location Canal Brussel-Schelde.PNG
The route of the Willebroek Canal

Gardens of the Egmont Palace (Brussels)

 

The Egmont Palace (Dutch: Egmontpaleis, French: Palais d'Egmont) is a large mansion at the Rue aux Laines (Wolstraat) and the Petit Sablon Square in Brussels, Belgium. Today it houses the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Egmont Palace is situated at an elevation of 69 meters.

It was built between 1548 and 1560 by Françoise of Luxembourg and her son, Lamoral, Count of Egmont, first in Flemish Gothic style, later Renaissance. The fabric was dramatically transformed in the 18th century, when the building was clothed in Neoclassical style, while the property passed onto the Arenberg family. The plans for this stage are attributed to the early advocate of neoclassicism, Giovanni Niccolò Servandoni. After a fire demolished the oldest part of the building in 1891, it was reconstructed in a uniform neoclassical style.

The venue hosted the fencing events for the 1920 Summer Olympics in the garden
Σχετική εικόνα

Hoogboom Military Camp

 
Hoogboom Military Camp was a military installation located in Brasschaat, Belgium, located 10 km northeast of neighboring Antwerp. The venue hosted the Olympic trap and 100 metre running deer shooting events for the 1920 Summer Olympics.

Jules Ottenstadion

 
Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για Jules Ottenstadion 1920

Jules Ottenstadion was a multi-purpose stadium in Gentbrugge, Ghent, Belgium. It was used mostly for football matches and used to be the home ground of K.A.A. Gent. The stadium held 12,919 seats and was built in 1920. It was replaced as the club's home ground by the new Ghelamco Arena in 2013. At the end of the use of the stadium for the home matches of KAA Gent, it was simply called Ottenstadion by the people of Ghent. It was situated in the centre of a residential neighbourhood in the Bruiloftstraat in Gentbrugge.

The stadium was built in 1920 and was officially opened on 22 August of that year by the Dauphin of that time, Prince Leopold. The stadium was named after Jules Otten, one of the founders of KAA Gent, which was called La Gantoise at that time.

During the 1920 Summer Olympics in Antwerp, it hosted the Italy-Egypt football match which the Italians won 2-1.

Nachtegalen Park

Nachtegalen Park (Nightingale Park in (in Dutch)) is a park located in the Antwerp, Belgium municipality of Wilrijk. It served as the archery venue for the 1920 Summer Olympics. Actes du IIIme Congres international de botanique - Bruxelles 1910 ((1910)-(1912)) (16586340309).jpg
Contemporary photograph of Nachtegalen Park, where the event took place

Olympisch Stadion (Antwerp)

 
Olympisch Stadion in 1920. | © <a href="http://www.anp-archief.nl/page/56128/nl">Anp-archief.nl</a>.

The Olympisch Stadion (Dutch pronunciation: [oːˈlɪmpis ˌstaːdijɔn]) or Kielstadion [ˈkilstaːdijɔn]) was built as the main stadium for the 1920 Summer Olympics in Antwerp. For those games, it hosted the athletics, equestrian, field hockey, football, gymnastics, modern pentathlon, rugby union, tug of war, weightlifting and korfball (demonstration) events. Following the Olympics it was converted to a football stadium. Its current tenant is FCO Beerschot Wilrijk, a Belgian football club. There are no remnants of the Olympic athletics track.

It is possible that Archibald Leitch was involved in the design of the stadium having made several visits prior to the Games.

History and description

The Olympisch Stadion, nicknamed ‘t Kiel, was built for the 1920 Summer Olympics that were held in the city of Antwerp.

Construction started in July 1919, and the stadium officially opened less than one year later on the 23rd of May 1920.

Back then, the stadium counted with a capacity of 30,000, of which 20,000 standing places. It was bowl-shaped, and had, of course, an athletics track that circled the pitch.

Over the years, capacity got gradually reduced to about 25,000, and when Beerschot merged with Germinal Ekeren in 1999, parts of the stadium had already been demolished.

In 2000, Beerschot embarked on a redevelopment program that would result in a smaller stadium with four separate stands, no running tracks, and with little resemblance of the previous Olympic Stadium.

Palais de Glace d'Anvers

The Palais de Glace d'Anvers was a sports venue located in Antwerp, Belgium. Measuring 168 feet (51 m) long by 58.5 feet (17.8 m) wide, it hosted both the figure skating and ice hockey events for the 1920 Summer Olympics. The building was demolished in 2016. Palais de Glace d'Anvers.

Stade Joseph Marien

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Stade_Joseph_Marien_in_1919.jpg
Stade Joseph Marien is a multi-use stadium in Brussels, Belgium. It is currently used mostly for football matches and is the home ground of Royale Union Saint-Gilloise. The stadium holds 8,000  and was opened in 1919. It is located within the Duden Park in the municipality of Forest, and its entrance is at one end of the Rue du Stade.

The stadium hosted some of the football events for the 1920 Summer Olympics.

DateRoundGameResultAttendance
1. August, 28 1920 First Round Netherlands  – Luxembourg  3 – 0 3.000
2. August, 28 1920 First Round Denmark  Spain 0 – 1 3.000
3. August, 29 1920 Quarter Final Czechoslovakia  – Norway  4 – 0 4.000

Stade Nautique d'Antwerp

Stade Nautique d'Antwerp was an aquatics venue located in Antwerp, Belgium. For the 1920 Summer Olympics, it hosted the diving, swimming, and water polo.

This was the first structure devoted to the aquatics events for the Summer Olympics.

During the swimming events, the water was described as cold and very dark, so much so that the swimmers had to be warmed up after every event. Diving events were held in the middle of the pool, with the divers themselves describing the water as cold and dark.

The Stade Nautique d'Antwerp was the first official swimming venue created at the Olympic Games. Antwerp's pool was enclosed by concrete, and, like the White City Stadium pool in 1908, the water temperature and quality made swimmers uncomfortable. Athletes reportedly sprinted to warm showers immediately after their races.

Stadion Broodstraat

Stadion Broodstraat was an Association football or soccer venue located in Antwerp, Belgium. The venue hosted the Royal Antwerp FC from 1908 to 1923. It served as the main venue for the football tournament at the 1920 Summer Olympics.

Vélodrome d'Anvers Zuremborg

The Vélodrome d'Anvers Zuremborg was a velodrome located in Antwerp, Belgium. A 400-metre track, it hosted the track cycling events for the 1920 Summer Olympics. The British media referred to the venue as The Garden City Velodrome. Cycling at the 1920 Summer Olympics, Italian team, team pursuit.jpg

 

Real time web analytics, Heat map tracking

Olympic Games

Full

Results

All Events