1928  Amsterdam Summer Olympics

1928 Summer Olympics - Olympic Venues

Venues of the 1928 Summer Olympics


  Fourteen sports venues were used for the 1928 Summer Olympics. The Swim Stadium was demolished in 1929 with it being a temporary venue. The Het Kasteel football stadium was renovated in 1998–99. The Monnikenhuize stadium was demolished in 1950. The Schermzaal sports hall has also been demolished. The Olympic Stadium was renovated between 1996 and 2000, and is still in use. The Old Stadion was demolished in 1929 and replaced with housing in the Amsterdam area.
Amersfoort Modern pentathlon (riding) Not listed
Amsterdam Cycling (road) Not listed
Buiten Y Sailing 2,263
Hilversum Equestrian (non-jumping), Modern pentathlon (running) 4,763
Krachtsportgebouw Boxing, Weightlifting, Wrestling 4,634
Monnikenhuize (Arnhem) Football 7,500
Old Stadion Field hockey, Football 29,787
Olympic Sports Park Swim Stadium Diving, Modern pentathlon (swimming), Swimming, Water polo 6,000
Olympic Stadium Athletics, Cycling (track), Equestrian (jumping), Football, Gymnastics, Korfball 33,025
Schermzaal Fencing, Modern pentathlon (fencing) 559
Sloterringvaart, Sloten Rowing 2,230
Sparta Stadion Het Kasteel (Rotterdam) Football 11,026
Zeeburg Shooting Grounds Modern pentathlon (shooting) 10,455
Zuiderzee Sailing 2,263


  Amersfoort [ˈaːmərsfoːrt] is a city and municipality in the province of Utrecht, Netherlands

Buiten-IJ (Amsterdam)

The Buiten-IJ hosted the mixed dinghy sailing events for the 1928 Summer Olympics in neighboring Amsterdam. It also hosted two events for the 1920 Summer Olympics in Antwerp.


Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για Hilversum 1928
Hilversum lies 24 km (15 mi) south-east of Amsterdam and 15 km (9.3 mi) north of Utrecht.For the 1928 Summer Olympics in neighboring Amsterdam, it hosted all of the non-jumping equestrian and the running part of the modern pentathlon event



Krachtsportgebouw was a multi-purpose sports arena located in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Known during the 1928 Summer Olympics as the Wrestling Pavilion, it hosted the wrestling, boxing, and weightlifting events.

Krachtsportgebouw was designed by architect Jan Wils. It could accommodate 2840 people seated and 1794 standing and included a shower, 15 dressing rooms, and an administrative office.

File:Wils Olympic Strength Sports Hall Amsterdam.jpg

Strength Sports Hall for the 9th Olympiad, Amsterdam



Monnikenhuize was a multi-use stadium in Arnhem, Netherlands. It was used mostly for football matches and hosted the home matches of SBV Vitesse. The stadium was able to hold 7,500 people. The stadium was opened in 1915. It was closed in 1950 when Nieuw Monnikenhuize opened.

For the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam, it hosted the consolation first round match between Chile and Mexico on 5 June 1928.

Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για Monnikenhuize 1928Opening Nieuw-Monnikenhuize

Old Stadion (Amsterdam)


The Oude Stadion (Old Stadium), officially known as Het Nederlandsch Sportpark (The Dutch Sports Park), and colloquially known as the Stadion (until 1928), was a multi-purpose sports stadium located in Amsterdam in the Netherlands. The stadium was built after the design by Harry Elte, with which he had won the contest for a national stadium in 1912.

The stadium was completed in 1914. For some time it was the only stadium with brick tribunes in the country. Prior to the construction of the Olympic Stadium used for the 1928 Summer Olympics, it was the primary stadium used for the city until the 1928 Games. This was to the fact that the stadium could not handle track running and track cycling events though it could accommodate football games, seating 29,000.

The addition of running lanes and a cycling track would have reduced the capacity to 17,000. Despite this, the old stadium did host some of the field hockey and football events for the 1928 Games.

The stadium was demolished in 1929 to make way for the projected housing, part of Hendrik Petrus Berlage's Plan Zuid. The area is still known as Stadionbuurt, after the Old Stadium.

Nederland—Frankrijk 2 april 1923.jpg
Full name Nederlandsch Sportpark
Former names Harry Elte Stadium

Olympic Sports Park Swim Stadium


The Olympic Sports Park Swim Stadium was a venue used for the diving, swimming, water polo, and the swimming portion of the modern pentathlon events for the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam.

The swimming basin was made of reinforced concrete that was 50 m long by 18 m wide with the deepest part near the diving area at 5 m. Stands were erected at both sides with one of them at most accommodating 6000 spectators. There were 20 men's and 16 women's dressing rooms.

A temporary structure, it was demolished following the Olympics in 1929
Olympic Swimming Stadium 1928.jpg
Full name Olympic Sports Park Swim Stadium

Olympic Stadium (Amsterdam)

The Olympic Stadium during the Olympic Games of 1928

The Olympic Stadium (Dutch: Olympisch Stadion) is the main stadium for the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam. The venue is currently used mostly for football, athletics and music events.

When completed, the stadium had a capacity of 31,600. Following the completion of the rival De Kuip stadium in Rotterdam in 1937, the Amsterdam authorities increased the capacity of the Olympic Stadium to 64,000 by adding a second ring to the stadium. In 1987 the stadium was listed as a national monument.

AFC Ajax used the Olympic Stadium for international games until 1996, when the Amsterdam Arena was completed. Renovation started in 1996, and the stadium was refurbished into the original construction of 1928. The second ring of 1937 was removed, reducing capacity to 22,288, and the stadium was made suitable for track and field competitions again.

Since 2005, the stadium is home to a sports museum, the Olympic Experience Amsterdam.

The 1928 Olympics introduced the idea of the Olympic Flame. The flame burned for the first time ever in a tall tower, known as the Marathon tower, adjacent to the Olympic Stadium. In the top of the Marathon tower, four balconies are situated which were used during the Games by horn blowers. Above these balconies four speakers from Philips were attached, from which results and messages were broadcast into the Olympic area, a novelty at the time. The bowl on top which carried the Olympic flame was known to Amsterdammers as "the ashtray of KLM pilots". A permanent Olympic flame burning during the tournament was also an Olympic first.



Schermzaal was a sports venue located in Amsterdam, Netherlands. During the 1928 Summer Olympics, it hosted the fencing and the fencing part of the modern pentathlon events.

Designed by architect Jan Wils, the venue contained eight runners, each 2 metres (7 feet) wide by 19 metres (62 feet) long. a wing to the building contained eight dressing rooms, a shower, and an administrative room.

The venue has since been demolished.

Fencing Hall for the 9th Olympiad, Amsterdam

Sloten, Amsterdam


Sloten  is a village in the Dutch province of North Holland. It is a part of the municipality of Amsterdam, and lies about 6 km west of the city centre. Sloten was a separate municipality until 1921. Since then, Sloten(founded in the year 990) became the oldest part of Amsterdam (founded in 1254).

During the 1928 Summer Olympics, it hosted the rowing events. Now it is best known for the working windmill, transformed into the Rembrandt Sloten Windmill/Coopery Museum.

Sparta Stadion Het Kasteel


The Sparta Stadion, nicknamed Het Kasteel (Dutch pronunciation: [ət kɑsˈteːl]) is a football stadium in Rotterdam, Netherlands. It is the home ground of Sparta Rotterdam. It has a capacity of 11,026.

For the 1928 Summer Olympics in neighboring Amsterdam, the venue hosted two football games. The first was on 5 June when host nation Netherlands defeated Belgium 3-1 while the second was three days later when the Dutch team tied Chile 2-2.

Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για Sparta Stadion Het Kasteel 1928



Zeeburg is a former borough of Amsterdam. It had 52,701 residents (January 2009) and an area of 19.31 km². The construction of new islands to the east called IJburg made it the most rapidly growing borough of Amsterdam. On 1 May 2010 Zeeburg merged with the borough of Amsterdam-Oost.

For the 1928 Summer Olympics, its shooting range was used for the shooting part of the modern pentathlon events.


The Zuiderzee (Dutch: [ˌzœy̯dərˈzeː]; old spelling Zuyderzee) was a shallow bay of the North Sea in the northwest of the Netherlands, extending about 100 km (60 miles) inland and at most 50 km (30 miles) wide, with an overall depth of about 4 to 5 metres (13–16 feet) and a coastline of about 300 km (200 miles). It covered 5,000 km2 (1,900 sq mi). Its name means "southern sea" in Dutch, indicating that the name originates in Friesland, to the north of the Zuiderzee

In 1928, the 6-meter and 8-meter sailing events for the Amsterdam Summer Olympics were held on the Zuiderzee

Map of the Zuiderzee Works in the Netherlands


Real time web analytics, Heat map tracking

Olympic Games



All Events